Dr. Lei Fang is a patent lawyer in the Atlanta Office of Troutman Sanders LLP. She focuses her practice on IP prosecution, due diligence, opinions, counseling and procurement in biotechnical, chemical, nanotechnology, neuroscience, medical device, pharmaceutical and life sciences fields. She represents clients domestically and internationally and offers counsel on patent, trademark and copyright protection as well as various IP-related transactional matters. Lei also has extensive experience performing validity, non-infringement, FTO analyses, licensing and technology transfers, contract review and FDA regulation review for new drugs and medical devices. Lei’s experience also includes Hatch-Waxman patent litigation and International Trade Commission Section 337 investigations involving US and Chinese companies.
Lei received her J.D. from California Western School of Law and her Ph.D. in Pharmacology & Toxicology from the University of Arizona. She also graduated from Nanjing Medical University and is qualified as a medical doctor in China.
Prior to launching her legal career, she had a postdoctoral training at Harvard Medical School/Brigham Women’s Hospital. She also worked as a research scientist at a biotech/pharmaceutical company in Cambridge, MA.
Lei has represented multiple Chinese companies in various corporate and IP matters in the United States.
Lei speaks and writes fluent Chinese and is actively involved in many Asian-American organizations, many of which she serves as a legal counsel. Her extensive knowledge on IP-related matters in the biotech, pharmaceutical, medical device, and life sciences industries have led to many speaking engagements for Lei.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Committee member of Pharma & Biotech, Intellectual Property Owner (IPO)
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, Intellectual Property Law Section, State Bar of Georgia
- Member, Georgia Biotechnology Industry Organization (GaBio)
- Member, Women-in-Bio (WIB) Atlanta Chapter
- Member, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA)
- Member, Georgia Asian Pacific American Bar Association (GAPABA)
- Member, China/Asian Committee, Bioscience Leadership Council, Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce
- Chairperson, Executive Committee, Georgia-China Alliance (GCA)
- Legal Counsel, Board of Directors, Zhejiang Association of Georgia (ZAGA)
- Legal counsel, Asian American Culture and Art Association (AACAA)